Blog Archive

Thursday, November 17, 2011

I never claimed to be a sensible shopper


I never claimed to be a sensible shopper. So far, my most riduculous purchases have been a bulky turtleneck sweater dress in Rome and a floor length, chiffon and lace dress in Rio. (The dress is so fancy, it reminds me of the prom dress that I loved so much I wore to 2 different Proms. In fact, this dress is so nice that I am making my friend Adriana hang it in her closet - I dont trust the hostel or Juju and her gangstas.) 
Neither dress purchase was needed, or very practical when you recall that I am traveling with only a backpack. But I do think I should have been looking for some more versatile clothing...

I dont have many clothes. I've never been a trendy dresser, but my lack of style right now is laughable. And my friend Joana did laugh. 
Joana works in fashion here in Rio and while I've never claimed to my stylish, I tried to get creative with my outfit this night. I was wearing the one shirt I have that is not a tshirt or fleece, and did not want to carry my frumpy black travel purse. So, I grabbed a small brown "clutch" from my limited wardrobe (which can fit on less than 10 hangers, see previous blog entry...)
Joana and I were out getting sushi in Leblon, and we get out of the cab and Joana looks at my clutch and groans, "I have that same overnight kit bag from Air France. We need to get you shopping in my closet." 
I didnt take her seriously until last weekend. 
A cute brazilian guy on my volleyball group mentioned he was going to a wedding in Buzios that weekend. He also was insistent on exchanging contact info but kept on forgetting his phone. So I took his email on Friday morning and figured there was no hurry to email him, as he was going to Buzios for his friends wedding.
I should clarify that I didn't see any hurry to email him until I met Adriana for lunch. Adriana is this otherwise very sweet Brazilian girl I have been friends with since June. 
But she eggs me onto doing ridiculous things - like buying that over the top lace and chiffom gown. I mentioned this cute volleyball guy I met and she suddenly got it into her head that I must get myself invited to the wedding in Buzios, so that I could wear this ridiculous dress she made me purchase.
 
Well, by late Friday afternoon the cute volleyball player quickly accepted the offer (of, you know, me inviting myself to the wedding so I could wear the dress). To my relief, he later told me he had wanted to invite me to the wedding but didnt want to seem too aggressive. (note: he is both cute and high maintenance, so there will be no photos posted of the cute volleyball player as my wedding date).
Now that I was going to the wedding, I started racing all over town to pick up the dress from Adriana, and then I realized that my extremely limited wardrobe of fleeces and running shorts are not appropriate for a wedding weekend in Buzios. 
So I went finally shopping in Joana's closet(s). I felt a bit like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (for the poor girl on a high end shopping spree, not for feeling like a prostitute, jackasses).

One hour later, I left Joana's with party dresses, casual dresses, brunch dresses, handbags, accessories, and even an overnight bag (so that I didnt need to turn up in Buzzes carrying my clothes in my huge backback or plastic grocery store bags.

Once appropriately outfitted, the trip was great. A beautiful wedding on the beach, exploring Buzios with a charming host, and a house that felt like The Real World:Buzios.
The house:
aluguetemporada.com.br/imovel/p515264958

No comments:

Post a Comment